Cane webbing has been a part of my home decor arsenal for a while. Ever since I’ve used it in my media console makeover this year, I’ve been looking for other fun DIY projects to feature this trendy material.
What better occasion than the holidays to spend time doing some crafts?
Since December is a busy month in our household, I wanted to focus on projects that can be done in one afternoon.
I decided to go for a beautiful rattan vase and a rattan storage box with a classic black look.
These two projects are easy to make in a few hours and are great home decor gifts to give to your loved ones.
Rattan Vase Tutorial
Clear glass vase
A small towel
- Soak cane webbing sheets in a pool of water for 10-15 minutes to make them soft and manageable
2. Dry it using a towel
3. Wrap the sheet around the vase to determine the length of cane sheets to use
*The cane sheets should be placed from the bottom of the vase to the ½ mark, ¾ mark or your desired height of the vase
4. Once you’ve determined the sheet length and height, cut it down
*For a cleaner look (at the bottom of the vase), cut the cane sheets close to a strand at your desired measurements
5. Apply glue at one of the vertical ends of the cane sheet
6. Quickly place the cane sheet around the vase. Ensuring the alignment of the cane sheets are straight
7. Then glue the other vertical end onto the vase
8. For a clean finish, use a strand from the cane sheets, apply glue to the back and place it at the top edge of the vase
Black Rattan Storage Box Tutorial
Spray paint, black
- Clean the wooden box
2. Remove all hardware from the wooden box
3. Spray paint the wooden box black
4. Prepare the cane webbing sheets by soaking them in water for 10-15 mins
5. Dry the cane sheets with a towel
6. Trace and cut the cane webbing sheet for both the longest vertical side and bottom of each box.
Ensuring your cuts are clean by cutting close to a strand. You can also cut the cane sheet for each side of the box individually
7. Using hot glue, attach the cane webbing to the box. As you attach the cane, apply pressure for 20-30 seconds to secure the cane webbing on the wooden box
8. Glue a strand from the cane sheets on all edges and trim for a clean finish
9. Once the wooden box is covered as desired, attach the hardware, and voila! You have a rattan storage box that is a great decor gift
Are you going to give these fun DIYs a try?
If you do, let me know in the comments. I’d love to know how it turns out!
Do you have more time to spend on doing crafts and DIYs?
Check out some other DIYs I have done this year:
- SIMPLE DIY SPICE JAR LABELS FOR YOUR KITCHEN
- 6 EASY KIDS’ CHRISTMAS DECORATING IDEAS YOU’LL LOVE
- VERTICAL SHIPLAP: KIDS PLAYROOM